Do you ever think about the magical, mesmerizing instrument that is an organ? Sometimes grandiose machineries of wind, sometimes intimate whisperers, they are everywhere around you: Brussels counts no less than 165 organs, several of which are hundreds of years old ! Every day, you cross one on your way, probably without even knowing it.
Bruxelles Ses Orgues A.S.B.L. took the resolution to bring this widely forgotten instrument back to the front scene on the occasion of four festive days called “This is not a Pipe… Organ Festival”, from Friday the 3d to Monday the 6th of February. On this occasion, Manneken Pis will be wearing the costume of a traditional facteur d’orgue (craftsman specialized in organ manufacturing), made by Marthe Coeckelenbergh.
Here are some of the main events that will take place across Brussels center from Friday the 3th to Monday the 6th of February 2017:
- An exceptional chamber concert at the Town Hall with 4 organs played by 11 world acclaimed organists ;
- A guided tour of the Musical Instruments Museum (MIM), focusing on its extraordinary collection of keyboards ;
- An “ORGANic” walk around the Mont des Arts toured by Quartiers Latins bookshop (the Chapelle Royale with Yuko Wataya, Saint-Jacques-sur-Coudenberg with Eric Mairlot and Notre-Dame au Sablon with Benoît Mernier) ;
- A cine-concert organized by Cinematek Flagey, accompanied by a live pipe organ! Swedish keyboard virtuoso, genius improviser and film lover Hampus Lindwall will rock the “positiv” and give it an “Arabian nights” twist through iPad modulation;
- A talk intended for the uninitiated audience to discover the wonders of organs, with keys to understanding its fascinating mechanism and vibrant history;
- Master Classes taught by some of the most widely acclaimed European and Belgian masters (among which Bernard Foccroulle and Jean Ferrard)
And there is much more. The full program is to be found here.
You can also ask for more information or make reservations on the following addresses: www.brusselscityoforgans.org